Subject: RE: UKNM: New design of ft.com
From: Sholto Ramsay
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:42:33 GMT

I was extremely disappointed by the office area whose tools cannot compare
with those provided by Yahoo and other portals. For example the calendar
cannot be reconciled with a Palm or Outlook which is makes it worthless in
my view. I find it hard to believe that anybody will use the office part,
and those that do will quickly migrate to better services.
Elsewhere the site has tons of good touches let down by poor detail and
implementation. For example the navigation bar requires that you click on
each possible option to see what the option means: yet everywhere else on
the web, navigation syntax is such that clicking on something takes you
somewhere and seeing options are rollovers. So if you put the mouse over
"people" nothing happens until you click. The first time I thought it was
broken.
The search facilities are excellent and clearly marked, but after getting
company quotes you could be given broker recommendations at the same time
rather than having to do more navigation.
It will interesting to see if in 6 months time it has some life to it (like
motley fool) or has seen off the challenge of breakingviews.com.
Meanwhile Real Life seems to have disappeared. Where will I find Lucy
kellaway now?

To my mind it still owes the wrong qualities to the newspaper. It needs to
shake off the newspaper and become much more vibrant and peopled. Mix
Silicon, Motley Fool and Last Minute..... that is what is needed.

Sholto Ramsay
sholtoatpobox [dot] com
Freeserve Auctions