Subject: Re: UKNM: PSI & Cisco Systems
From: Fiona Campbell-Howes
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:50:34 +0100

Cisco has already reached world domination in its field - it's one of the
biggest tech companies in the world with yearly revenues of $15 billion -
it's the Microsoft of the networking market. The trouble with these
companies is that, until recently, few people had heard of them and even
fewer understood what they were about. The aim for these companies now is
to be recognised outside of the IT department - i.e. by CEOs and other
high-ups - so that Cisco (or whoever) gets known and becomes part of a
company's "overall networking strategy" rather than a few IT bods buying a
couple of Cisco routers here and there. This is why they are so keen to get
into sports sponsorship, and especially in Europe - which is still almost
virgin territory for big US tech companies that have saturated the home
market. You'll find too that as the tobacco companies pull out of Formula
One sponsorship, they're being replaced by hardcore IT (as opposed to Web)
companies - they're the ones with the big bucks.