Subject: UKNM: No Bags, lots of bugs.
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:46:57 GMT

Has anyone been getting any contact from NoBags.com? .... yet another
shopping portal? It seems that they launched with a wave of publicity etc.
in early February... and then, it all went quiet. Just before the site went
down I checked our listing in their directory and was surprised to see that
the link through to our site failed - there was a bad database problem and
the error message didn't look pretty.

Then they went 'down', only to re-surface about four weeks later with an
email that started like this (if you want the full one, email me off-list,
although many of you will have got it already):

"I am sure you will be glad to know that Nobags.com is back 'on air' after
suffering a series of serious hack attacks on our server in the US. If you
followed the press you will have seen that Nobags.com was the only UK site
to be hit by the hacks which affected sites such as Amazon.com, Yahoo! and
E-Bay.... contd."

I didn't, obviously, watch the press hard enough. Did anyone get a story on
this one? From what I could see, the explanation could have been - "we
didn't beta test enough and suffered the consequences. Rather than admit
that we made a mistake, our PR department tried to make out that we were a
serious player and could be compared to sites that have zillions more
customers than us. At worst the other sites went down for 24 hours, for us
it was weeks." - allegedly.

Somehow, I'm not convinced.

`John B