Subject: Re: UKNM: Forrester's 'Technographics'
From: Duncan Clubb
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 15:44:24 GMT

Richard
Don't know about the technobabble stuff, but you're spot on with your
comment that advertisers/marketers/whoever should concentrate on their
product, which just so happens to be on the web, rather than the
technology. I have long thought that the Marshall McLuhan-ite attitude
that the 'medium is the message' is a dangerous, stupid and outdated
mode of thinking. It has always pissed me off something rotten that
Wired have McLuhan down as their patron saint in their masthead. The
internet is just a bunch of wires - it's what you do with it that's
important, not anything else. It does not really matter what motivates
early adopters, as they are not representative of the mass market (read
Crossing the Chasm - top book about marketing high-tech products). I
have always felt that the over-emphasis of technology rather the
benefits it can deliver has held back mass market acceptance and slowed
down penetration. Next step is to educate designers and technologists in
the delights of pushing and thinking about benefits instead of
features. <FESS UP>I'm a technologist</FESS>.
aye
duncan

Richard Stephens wrote:

> Has anyone come across Forrester Research's 'Technographics' segmentation
of
> consumers?
SNIP