Subject: UKNM: Forrester's 'Technographics'
From: Richard Stephens
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:25:39 GMT

Has anyone come across Forrester Research's 'Technographics' segmentation of
consumers? This was something they developed in the US in 1996, and are
just beginning to roll out in Europe. One of my clients has bought the
first wave of European data, and I am interested to know if anyone has
experience of using this tool, whether they thought it added anything to
what they knew already, whether they found it accurate or inaccurate, made
sense, and so on.

Technographics says that the key driver of internet use is 'technology
optimism', not income, even though it admits that 'technology pessimists'
with high income also use (& shop on) the internet. Further, it divides
internet users into three slightly clumsy groups, based on their core
motivation: career, family/community, and entertainment/messing about.

Our concern is that this approach is outdated and that the web is no longer
about early adopters, but about mass market; that people don't slot into
neat groups based on career, family and so on; and that there are enough
general consumers on the web now to base your advertising message not on
'hey, this is new technology' but on 'hey, this is a brilliant product, and
it just happens to be on the web.'

Many thanks for any feedback. And thank you for the opinions on
interstitials over the last few days.

Richard Stephens [Stephens [dot] ratbhwg [dot] com]
Planner, BHWG London
Tel: 0171 298 1277