Subject: UKNM: Credit Card Clearance/Payment Systems
From: Ken Cowley
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:48:11 GMT

Hello all from a lurker of a few months.

I'm doing some development work for a credit card clearance/payment type
service at the mo, but I've developed e-commerce sites too so this q has an
interest for me personally.

I'd like to know if anybody has any opinions on how these payment services
are/should be chosen - are all services the same? Does 'brand' mean anything
here (to the consumer, the developer or the vendor) is the brand just good
old VISA or AMEX? Do you just use what came in the Icat/Intershop box?

My own take on this is that for the majority of vendors the developer has
great influence - 'how do we get credit cards cleared?' 'Oh no problem, we
do it this way'. In turn as a developer I was heavily swayed by ease of
integration/documentation etc (which reflected on perceived 'quality of the
organization'). There's also a qualifying factor which is what bank the
vendor's got a merchant agreement with already, which sometimes limits the
field.

Anybody got any comments, even 'this is a commodity, I don't care' would be
helpful. For the record, I found Netbanx and Datacash did what they said on
the box, with Netbanx ahead on server reliability (at least during a period
of about three months a year back - Datacash people feel free to counter)
and Datacash ahead on integration (I'm a Microsoft Head, and they do an
Activex component - you have to punch a weird port number through your
firewall though).

BTW, and sorry for being off topic on my own posting, there was a thread re:
Scoot inserting their own banners a while back, which I picked up in digest
mode. When so alerted I put

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
if (top.frames.length!=0)
top.location=self.document.location;
// -->
</SCRIPT>

In my home page to get the benefits of Scoot's 'free listing' benevolence
without supporting the mugs who paid for banners on other peoples' sites.
There are other tests such as if(self!=top) etc.

Ken Cowley
kenatvitamin [dot] co [dot] uk
Vitamin Limited
databases--web programming--e-commerce