Subject: UKNM: Dead email accounts
From: aajgray
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:18:46 +0100

Here's a question for y'all. I've just finished a small email marketing
campaign for a client and the transmission reports make interesting reading.

The client is well used to what mail return rates to expect on DM but wants
to gauge the return rates on the email campaign (i.e. indicating what email
addresses have 'lapsed').

The best comparison I can think of is to take the 'unknown recipients'
results from the transmission report. In this case, 7.5% of emails sent
were returned due to 'unknown recipient'. Obviously, if one is using a work
address and then leaves, the address is deleted from the server in most
cases.

What I would like to know is at what point does this occur with free
Internet email addresses? A user could switch from one free email account
to another and emails would just continue to pile up in the in-box without
an 'unkown recipient' response issued. Do hotmail/ talk21/ yahoo etc. draw
the line when they see full email boxes and cancel the account?

Thanks,

Andy Gray

talk21 your FREE portable and private address on the net at
http://www.talk21.com