Subject: RE: UKNM: Dead email accounts
From: Svein Eriksen
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:47:11 +0100

Andy,

ISP's will not delete a mailbox just because it is full, rather the email
will normally bounce with a "mailbox full" message. A full mailbox normally
occur in the following situations:
a) User has left, and nobody has deleted the account, causing messages to
pile up.
b) Email reader is wrongly configured to leave mail in the mailbox.
c) User is receiving a lot of heavy duty mail (graphics, for instance),
and not checking the account regularly enough.

Both free and paid for ISP's can be poor at deleting accounts. Most
systems/internal routines are good at setting up services (otherwise users
complain a lot), but nobody really complains when an account is left
enabled. This includes internal procedures in HR departments even in big
companies.

When an ISP is handling the mail account, clients very rarely
remembers/bothers to tell their provider that an email address belonging to
an ex-employee should be deleted. It only becomes an issue if the client is
charged per mailbox. I know from experience as I used to run an ISP. One
client grew from 50 to 70 mailboxes, and upon receiving their annual invoice
together with a list of their mailboxes the client quickly responded with 15
to be deleted. The invoice was duly revised :-(

I have myself tested several free services and received free email accounts.
Although I have not used them, some of these accounts remain active months
later. Remember, most of these services quote the number of email accounts
rather than the number of *active* users - the inactive ones are likely to
be a fairly high percentage. This gives a real incentive not to cut off
email accounts, as often bigger customer lists equates to higher
evaluations.

I presume that the real purpose of the excercise is to measure how many
people see the email, rather than finding out how many bounce.
Unfortunately, due to the reasons given above it is very difficult to
measure/estimate the real exposure.

Svein Eriksen
http://www.ibresources.co.uk/ - Providing Independent Technology Advice