Subject: Re: UKNM: Best affiliates?
From: Neil Durrant
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:49:27 +0100

Hi Nick,

Firstly are you looking at a managed network solution or operating your
program in-house?

A network solution often reduces the management resources required providing
not just the necessary tracking but often in-house fraud protection,
affiliate payments, pre-approval of affiliates and offering a ready made
pool of affiliates for you to 'tap into' with your program.

A software basd solution operated in-house will simply provide you with the
facility to allow affiliates to join your program and track their
clickthru's/sales and provide both you as the merchant and the affiliates
the relevant stats.

Its worth noting that at least 90% of any programs affiliates will be
inactive and the entire programs profitabilty will be based upon the
minority of super affiliates - highly trafficked sites targeting your
potential customer base.

Often these key affiliates need to be actively recruited into your program
whichever solution you may decide upon.

If your looking at an in-house system then I highly recommend Kowabunga's My
Affiliate Program, recently implemented this software with one of my
programs and diarised as a case study at -

http://www.affiliatemarketing.co.uk/aacasestudy.htm

Have implemented and managed a couple of Commission Junction programs, a
good option for those looking to reduce program management and affordable
but I dislike the fact that it's difficult to communicate with affiliates
(you can only mail affiliates via CJ's internal mail system).

Although havent used their systems myself I have had positive feedback from
merchants from both Linkshare and Befree but both of these options solutions
can get rather expensive!

Clicktrade (bCentral) is one to avoid, cheap solution but no merchant or
affiliate support whatsoever.

I'm under contract to supply most of the UK networks so need to stay
impartial here but I have just uploaded a new article to my site allowing
each network a five minute pitch as to why a merchant should choose their
solution -

http://www.affiliatemarketing.co.uk/uknetworks.htm

If you would like further assistance in planning your program please get in
touch and we can discuss further.

Regards
Neil Durrant
www.affiliatemarketing.co.uk