Subject: Re: FLASH: GGGGRRRR Yahoo! and Shockwave 7 :Þ
From: Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 22:56:44 +0100

John Dowdell wrote:

> (Q) If someone advises Mac users to avoid Shockwave 7.02, do they "know
> what they're talking about"?

Yes, without qualification or exception. The SW702 remote is problematic
on Mac installs. Less so on Win32.

It is most notably troublesome on 640-by-480 pixel monitors or systems
using 8-bit color depth. There are other problems with it though which
have been extensively documented and commented on, and which have been
acknowledged *by Macroomedia* as undesirable traits which will be fixed.

I have David's post on this, so I feel pretty sure of my footing here.

> (A) They're likely vulnerable to drawing conclusions on slight evidence...

John, you and I both know that is not true. Please do not give the
impression that I'm a chicken little, or that anyone else who has raised
severe hades in the last month over SW702 is some kind of hysterical
overreactive crackpot.

You *know better*, John. I personally don't appreciate the implicit
disparagement of my faculties.

Regarding Russ Unger's question:

> >What if someone advises all users to avoid Shockwave 7.02?

> Then I advise you to avoid _them_. ;-)

That is not a viable response.

SW702 assuredly has had a negative impact to some individuals, notably
IT individuals, about the acceptability of *all* plugins, as was
mentioned either on Direct-L or shocker.

Please don't think I'm out to get you. I respect you tremendously. On
the other hand I don't feel what you are saying here is strictly
accurate, and I feel accused, indirectly, of being a looney. I might be,
but in this case at least, I'm probably not wrong.

--WthmO