Subject: Re: Flash text was (Re: FLASH: images quality)
From: John Croteau
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 23:34:17 +0100

Hi Lena,

Lena Björklund wrote:

> Hi John.
>
> John Croteau wrote:
>
> > Hi Lena,
> >
> > I do appreciate your calling my explination a mess...
>
> I meant "mess" as short for "message". 8)
>
> John Croteau wrote:
>
> > Hi Lena,
> >
> > > To my understanding, the "imaginary" freedom of font choice and typesetting
> > > in Flash, isn´t solved, then. Is that right a right interpretetion of your
> > > mess?
> > I do appreciate your calling my explination a mess...
>
> > Most people increse the minimum font size they use
> > by a point or two to compensate for Flash's smoothness.
>
> Me to. But I very much miss the opportunity to set texts in 12-13 or smaller
> points for "regular text" (it´s "bread text" in swedish). You always have to
> test wether the font you like to use works - is readable - or not. In most cases
> it isn´t.
It would be nice if MM gave us a switch to turn off anti-aliasing, but i
think they think it would be more trouble than it's worth (they may be
right).

Body text (bread text) is normally limited to a choice of a few
different fonts styles even in print. For screen display a large
selection of suitable body font styles is even more difficult because of
the lower resolution. In general Display (Headline) text is where there
is a wider latitude and variety of font choices and Flash does not limit
these choices.

The _sans _serif and _typewriter font designations do not offer exact
shape and placement of characters to the viewer but do allow a smaller
file and generally offer slightly better display at the smaller sizes
(this varies from computer to computer). Please note - they do not allow
the use of tiny text.