Subject: RE: FLASH: OT: Rates - my last post on this subject :)
From: Bob Schwartz
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:07:19 GMT

Chrissey,

Since I am sure you're well intended on this (after all, real price fixing is
*immoral*, if nothing else, and there is good reason that "we" try to prohibit
it)........but since, however, others may view, especially in an era where many
in the US feel there is "too much government", that innocent discussions of
industry pricing are, well, simply that, "innocent", I have asked around (out
of the "Flash" arena) and here is what I have come up with.

btw, I'm not an attorney, I have no direct experience in these matters and this
is not, therefore, any kind of legal advice......and there is no assurance that
my quick understanding is the "right" one or even the only one.

That said, I've been told that merely publicly discussing industry pricing is
not, per se, price fixing and that, in fact, posting prices can just as easily
encourage discounting as not. And, plenty of industries post their prices in
public venues (look at airlines, for one) and are not guilty of price
fixing........*unless* they commit other acts which take them into an unholy
realm.

indeed, in that business, as one example, one airline posts prices and others
raise them because they can.

As, again, I understand the law to be (I am always glad to stand corrected),
for there to be price fixing, there also have to be clear elements of intent
*along with* provable, overt acts that establish that the intent was turned
into action.

This makes sense, as if publishing or even merely publicly talking about prices
were illegal, everyone who had a "suggested retail price" would be a criminal.
ditto for "how much does a C programmer make in idaho", kind of thing, such
information being available all over the place.

There certainly are reasonable caveats, especially for certain kinds of
*private* behavior...............in order, for example, to avoid even the
possible appearence of price fixing, some competitors avoid private discussions
of such things as even innocent conversations can be honestly misinterpreted by
others. I have even read of meetings where executives in "rarified atmosphere"
have their lawyers present so that even innocent discussions may not be
misinterpreted............although implicit in all this, I assume, is the
presumption that price fixing can actually be accomplished by "competitors"
..............those, IOW, powerful enough to actually cause industry practices
to *be* "fixed", such as in the recent Archer Daniels Midland
case.................but again, that is just my guess.

As it concerns an industry where there are thousands of developers, fwiw, it is
hard for me as a lay person, to imagine that price fixing, as it concerns *all*
the elements I am told are necessary for price fixing to occur, could actually
be committed.......especially true, perhaps, given that rates for services will
vary geographically and given that competitors all over the world are competing
for "remote control" business with one another (i have gotten programming
quotes from people in other countries).

of course, whether or not it is actionable, it is unwise and potentially unfair
to clients for any group of developers of anything to advocate raising prices
as a group.......unless "you" are a union, in which case it is done all the
time<g>.

as to some lists or sites specifically prohibiting pricing talk, given the
sadly litigious nature of american society, I cannot say that I blame them,
although such prohibitions do not, by themselves, validate the thinking that
such discussions are, per se, illegal.

finally, since my understanding may be both wrong or, at least, an
oversimplification, and as the law is often gray in practice, nothing beats, of
course, talking with an attorney who *knows* the "business" as of yesterday, so
to speak..and anyone concerned about this ought to.

regards,

bob