Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Your Professional opinion...
From: David Gary
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 01:54:11 GMT

Neil O' Rourke wrote:

> I second that opinion. I dropped out of school at 17 and I'm climbing
> the ladder much faster that people with degrees and dimplomas.

That really depends on what your doing for a living. Some careers dont
neccessarily need degrees.
Some do. Someone that has mastered Flash hasnt gotten a degree in it however the
person that
can use the technology effectively and on a professional level usually has a
degree or some type of art
/design training. Flash wont make you an artist anymore than a pencil will. Its a
creative _tool_ just like anything
else. Its suprising how many people think it will. The net is full of "web
designers". The ones that have the backgrounds
and degrees standout. "Self teaching" and experimenting will only go so far and
its great to help in creating your
own style. but the fudamentals of harmony, balance, color, texture, technique,
usually stand out first for those who have
had training or years of experience in the creative field. Its like anything else.
Experience shows, period. Surrounding yourself with people in the industry is
important, but it wont make you a great designer anymore than hanging around
Dorthy
Hamill will make you a great ice skater.

I would not advise someone who has been studying a particular trade and fixing to
get a degree in that trade
to "Drop out" just because they've had access to photoshop or learned how to use
Flash with no former art skills.
Design is a cut throat industry and its hard enough for even the best designers to
make a good living. "Everyones" a designer nowadays. When my plumber comes to fix
the toilet at my studio and sees my illustrations hes usually an illustrator too.

I dont want to discourage anyone from being creative. Its a great escape
especially when creating your own visions,
but when your creating someone else's vision and doing it for a living, its
sometimes not such a great escape. In some cases
I'd rather be on a Plumber's listserver trying to figure out how to fix my toilet.
If you have no formal art/design/graphic
training and want to be creative, make it a hobbie and keep your day job or
seriously consider pursuing what you have had training in.

> I'm still
> finding it hard to break into the web development scene. My main area is
> graphic design and everything has been self-taught, I'm learning Flash
> and Dreamweaver at the moment so I'm hoping I can branch out into some
> kind of web thing without having to learn and programming languages.

I would advise mastering one skill and trying to become the best in that area.
Jack of all trades dont eat everyday. Thats why their are production companies and
web
design firms. Everyone has their specialty and there are a billion people out
there that think they
can "do it all" because they have a 'puter and a telephone line. If your trying to
become a great "Flash guru"
then hire someone else to do any hard code or maintaining. If your background is
artistic, be the artistic
part and trade your skills with the "coders". If your a "techie" or coder, do all
web surfers a favor and stick with coding
and trade your skills with a "creative".

> Dropping out was the best thing I ever did, but I must admit, I was
> lucky to get my foot in the door, once you're in though the sky is the
> limit!

Your right, you were lucky, but your one of the very few.

Simple. If you want to become an illustrator or designer, goto design or art
school as early as possible
and surround yourself with the best people you can. Then you just might, honestly,
be able to make a living
at it.

-DG-