Subject: RE: FLASH: No more demo FLAs
From: Eric Dunham
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 23:28:32 GMT

Well, Mr. High & Mighty,

How dare you try and selfishly claim something that cannot be yours. I have
never seen anything as outrageous as the hateful trash that you put forth to
the list today. In all my experiences from C, C++, JavaScript, Perl, Cobol,
Pascal, QBasic, Visual Basic, HTML, Lingo and Flash (and I know I probably
forgot some), I have never seen those two words NOT used. In almost every
example I have ever seen or read or heard, instructors, mentors and peers
have consistently used the "foo bar" example. Why? I don't know, nor do I
care and neither should you. And if you want to consider Branden's usage of
two words that have been used time and time and time and time again, by
almost every <fill-in-the-name> computer-oriented "community" that I have
ever seen, then maybe you should step back, look around at the world outside
of your self-made shell of close-mindedness and shut the f**k up. If that's
the way you want to be, then you might as well stop using every bit of
computer lingo and jargon that you have ever heard, because, you know,
someone came up with it before you did, and you're just ripping them off.

Furthermore, I cannot believe that you would personally attack one of the
most helpful and respected (IMO) members of this list based on the insanely
preposterous notion that your "Lisp community" has exclusive rights to use
those two "special" words. Well, I would suggest that you go back to them
and cry and bitch and moan about what Branden wrote, because I'll be willing
to bet you that they are the only ones who might give a damn about your
worthless complaint, which served no purpose other than to start another
flame thread on this list. I know that this post is nothing more than a
flame, and I do apologize for what some might see as wasted bandwidth, but,
honestly, you disgust me with your a) lack of compassion and b) failure to
realize that "foo" and "bar" are nothing more than words consisting of three
letters out of the English language, that you have no patent or monopoly
over. And if I'm not mistaken, the word "bar" was around long, long before
Lisp was, and the word "foo"... well, I'm pretty sure that someone else used
it before you did. So get off your cross, I'm sure someone else needs the
wood. (Oh, and if you want to say that the previous line of text was
plagiarism (because I'm sure you've heard it somewhere before), go ahead. I
won't mind, I'll just ignore you...oh wait I have a filter to do that...)

Have a nice day,
Eric Dunham