Subject: Re: FLASH: <OT> Mr. Skyvington ...was No more demo FLAs
From: Cheri Harder
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 18:52:50 GMT

Several months ago when I naively responded to a scathing comment from Mr.
Skyvington, I was told that he is really quite talented in many areas (tact
not being one of them.) Just for curiosity, I did an internet search, and
found that he is a retired University professor, programmer and instructor
of languages such as Ada and PL/I and Pascal and probably many more (since
he has been programming since somewhere around 1959) and a many-times-over
published technical writer.

Currently living in France, the Australian-born intellect has listed on his
web site that he is working on an autobiographical manuscript.

<and I quote>
The autobiographical manuscript on which I'm working at present is called
Above the World. It relates ordinary and less ordinary events in the life of
an Australian expatriate settled on the edge of the French Alps. The title
comes from the little-known second line of the motto of the Chartreux monks,
in which an anonymous speaker (God?) makes an astonishing first-person
declaration:

Crux stat dum volvitur orbis,
et mundo inconcussa supersto.

[The cross remains stable whereas the world changes,
and I rest unshaken above the world.]
</quote>

I can't help but wonder if the writer has taken this work, and himself, just
a bit too seriously. While I admire his intelligence, tenacity, and talent,
I don't think we will miss his pompousness.

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com
Advantage Web Solution
"Developing your internet storefront"
www.awsolution.com

> Well, now wait a minute. I wish like hell that Branden would continue
> offering the list his nuggets of wisdom and experience. We will all
> suffer a bit from his decision to stop BUT, people like Mr.Skyvington
> are as entitled to their opinions as anyone else

flasher is generously supported by...