Subject: RE: [uk-netmarketing] Flash and hits
From: John Handelaar
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:13:07 -0000

Yup. (Or rather 2 hits, one page impression).

> Do you know what tricks are used by people who
> a) like to make Flash sites

Break up the site into lots of Flash movies - that's
a common one. Getting prosecuted under the Disabilities
Act - that's coming soon. I should point out that
the BBC is singled out explicitly as one of the
organisations which is utterly required to make its
public sites accessible, by the way.

[My last accessibility-related rant of the morning,
I promise]

> b) like to be able to claims they've had lots and lots of visitors and/or
> hits

Normally in one of two ways:

1 Breaking up the presentation, or
2 Lying through their arses.

Glib, I know, but have you ever seen one show up with
ABC figures?

The burning question for you is this:

Q: Given that there has yet to be a very high-traffic
site using Flash alone (Moonfruit may prove me wrong
on this one, but until they get their figures
audited the assumption stands), do you think it's
because

a) The PI figures get screwed because of the
problem you just identified, or

b) Nobody really wants to go to a Flash site
more than once?

To be honest, I hadn't considered the question until
you just brought up the subject and I don't know
which it is. But my gut (and watching some of our
less gee-whizz clients in front of computers) tells
me that it's probably b).

John Handelaar

T +44 20 7209 4117 M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657 E johnatuserfrenzy [dot] com