Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Rates . . "billable" hours
From: Daniel Votino
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:33:19 GMT

on billable hours:

The work we have begun here in Flash is considered to be 70% billable.

(please note, those who are senitive to rate quoting, I do not quote the
rate. if someone would like a rate they simply need to inquire as any
normal person does in every day life)

The seventy percent is not based upon the fact that I or someone here will
tweak it all to hell really.
It is for two reasons. You cannot bill a client for 100 percent of an eight
hour day unless your sole task in the company is to Flash for eight hours a
day, in which case, the client, believing in your ability to provide him
with his design work, judges whether your estimate in total hours is what he
can afford.

Chances are, if you work for yourself you will tweak it all to hell and put
twice the hours you quoted. If you are in a firm, you will remain in the
firm so long as you remain on time and within budget. Othewise the firm
cannot afford you. IOW, you'll do the same as above. If we really billed
for our hours, no one could afford us anyway!!! Therefore, billing hourly
and making clear to the client that only 70% of what you've quoted will be
billed for is1) a releif to the client who wondering if there is a break in
there anywhere and 2)realistic if you work one job at a time but still have
other things to do with your time.

The question as to percentage comes down to this. How much of your work
hours will you spend on their project? Now, quote the project for how many
weeks, days, months whatever at how many hours you work a day, subtract that
percentage and there's your billable hours. In the end, around here anyway,
it comes down to one thing and that is not the hours. We look at a project
and determine if all are working to the standard level of potential our
company has set, it will take "this" much time with this many designers
working on this project. We tell the client it may take more but in our
professional opinion, it "should" only take "this" long. We add the hours
of "this" not the other, subtract the percentage and there we have it. They
decide if its in their budget.

Any firm or individual who sells themselves short on flash programming will
be doing it for a long time (selling themselves short and never getting
where they want, flashing the bog boyz). Do not sell your comapnies or
yourselve's short! We all know what that guy who knows how to replace a two
dollar part on our car charges. Flash is the same thing but a whole lot
different! It requires tools that most people dont know how to use. I can
change a radiator on my car. I have a wrench and a monkey can figure out
how to use it. Still that monkey would make 38 per half hour in the real
world (not implying auto mechanics are monkeys at all) Do you think that
monkey woudl know how to use the toolz in a Flash programmers toolbox? Does
he understand "streaming" technologies how to properly implement them over
various tranfer rate connections? Does he know HTML, JavaScript, VBScript,
who taught him Photoshop and various image compressions, does he know audio
and its various aspects over the web . . can he create it from nothing . . .
implement files on servers, check MIME settings by editing Server Registries
without crahing the whole server . . . can he troubleshoot . . . pay
attention to processing varaibles, level setting, and on and on and on?
Does he spend ALL of his time doing it, learning it, perfecting it,
expanding upon it? IOW, If it is your trade, your expertise and you know it
better than anyone in your arena than you ought to paid what the best get
paid. Any client can price shop, and will if they are smart. The question
is, can the other guys "do" what you can do? Will they bill for straight
"time" or will they bill for how long it "should" take to complete it at a
"billable hourly" rate? Ok . . . im rambling . . time to go home and go to
bed.

night . . .

~daniel owt!

PS, "hey let's all charge a million dollars an hour, whatta ya say?"
<-----just in case, thats a joke

Love & Rockets, Daniel Votino
Project Manager, The Flash Brothers Design Group
510 E. Francis Ave. Level0 Suite# DESCRY, Spokane, WA 99207
509.755.9904 / 509.484.8466 / FAX: 509.484.8461
www.flashbrothers.com